The anabolic-androgenic steroids (AASs) is mainly known as Anabolic steroids. People use it for various purposes. Among them, the most common is to gain muscle and to improve athletic performance.
This writing will let you know everything about anabolic steroids, types, side effects and uses of it. So keep reading and have a clear idea about this potent steroid.
Anabolic steroids definition:
The medical term for the Anabolic steroids is also widely familiar as anabolic-androgenic steroids. Anabolic steroids are human-made and also widely used as a male sex hormone testosterone.
These are the steroidal androgens that include some natural androgens such as, testosterone. Also, it contains some synthetic androgens that have similarities with testosterone.
Generally, they are anabolic and helps to increases the protein in the body cell, especially in the skeletal muscles of our body. And there are various levels of androgenic effects.
What are anabolic steroids:
The Proper medical term for anabolic steroids is anabolic-androgenic. Where anabolic refers to the muscle-building, and the androgenic refers to the increasing the male sex appeal.
Generally, the doctors or the experts prescribe the anabolic steroids to treat the hormonal issues for individuals (i.e. delayed puberty). This kind of steroids can treat muscle loss problems, AIDS or cancer etc.
Moreover, athletes or bodybuilders use this kind of steroid to boost their performance and energy. They also use to build their muscle in a short time.
Types of anabolic steroids:
There are more than 30 to 35 types of anabolic steroids found in commercial websites. Some are the medical uses (i.e. Nebido) while others are performance booster. However, there is also a type that is used for both medical and the performance boost (i.e. Anadrol).
People use them for various purposes. Such as:
- For building a bigger muscle
- Boosting the performance, strength, and endurance
- For burning the extra fat
- healing and boost up the performance of metabolism.
No matter medical or any other purposes, anabolic steroids can be taken in various ways. For instance; by mouth, by injection, as a cream or lotion through the skin.
The oral form of steroids is taken orally or by the mouth. Some common types are mentioned below:
- Fluoxymesterone (Halotestin), also known as “Halo”
- Methandienone (Dianabol), also known as “Dbol”
- Methyltestosterone (Virilon)
- Mesterolone (Proviron)
- Oxymetholone (Anadrol omg), also known as “Drol”
- Oxandrolone (Anavar, Oxandrin), also known as “Var”
- Stanozolol (Winstrol), also known as “Winny”
The injections take injectable forms. Some types are:
- Boldenone undecylenate (Equipoise), widely common as “EQ”
- Testosterone cypionate (Depotest)
- Nandrolone decanoate (Deca Durabolin), widely common as “Deca”
- Methenolone enanthate or “Primo”
- Nandrolone phenpropionate (Durabolin), also known as“NPP”
- Testosterone (Testex)
- Trenbolone acetate (Finajet), also familiar as “Tren”
- Testosterone enanthate (Andro-Estro)
How do anabolic steroids work?
Some steroid user takes it orally, and some take it directly by the injection into the muscle. This drug acts as a testosterone hormone. They cause the development and fast growth of the male sexual organ, increase the muscle cells, boost up the metabolism, and so on.
People who suffer from body wasting diseases, such as cancer or HIV. Sometimes anabolic steroids work as a supplement for the bodybuilders. This will help an individual to speed up in the natural muscle-building process.
An anabolic steroid supplement helps to repair that muscle fibre faster. And also it does add a bigger cell to build a more significant and strong muscle. This process is also commonly known as muscular hypertrophy.
Anabolic steroids side effects:
There are several side effects of anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS). The side effects always depend on the products, age, how much they take it, and for how long.
Legally prescribed regular dose of steroids can cause the following side effects:
- acne issues for a teenager
- difficulty or pain when urinating
- fluid retention
- abnormal growth of male breasts
- increasing of red cell count abnormally
- the hair growth or loss problem
- changes in libido
- low sperm production and also the infertility
Non prescribed use or misuse of steroids can increase the level of side effects. Some common are given the following:
- cardiovascular issues
- sudden death for the cardiac
- infarction of myocardial
- liver damages, (i.e. tumors or other types of damage)
- tendon rupture.
- Osteoporosis and weaken the bone.
And the side effects also depend on the gender of the consumer. For men, the side effects may be the following:
- shrinking the testicles
- abnormal breasts growth
For women, the side effects may be the following:
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- lengthening of the clitoris
- abnormal sex drive
- increasing the facial and body hair
- shrinking the breasts, and so on
Some of these effects can remain permanent, even when you stop taking it. There may be a risk of:
- damaging the liver
- mood swings
- anxiety disorders
- aggression feeling and attitude
- reckless behaviour
- psychological dependence, and so on
How to use anabolic steroids?
This type of drug is widely used in medical treatment. However, this drug is also misused by many people. But there is plenty of treatment where the role of anabolic steroids is inevitable. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Late puberty for boys
- Anaemia issues
- Low muscle growth due to AIDs or HIV
- For Breasts cancer
Anabolic steroids can be taken in various methods. Some users take it orally, which means, they take it by their mouth. And some users take it by injections. They use hypodermic needles to inject it directly into the muscle. Also, there is another way to use it as cream or lotion and apply through the skin.
Furthermore, no matter what your problem is, and how big your problem is, make sure an expert or professional doctor prescribes you before using it. Misusing these kinds of elements can lead to you in serious trouble.
So if you need to take it for your body muscle growth or bodybuilding or so on, do not forget to talk to your doctor before taking it.
Misuse of anabolic steroids:
People who misuse these type of steroids, they usually take it by orally or by injection into their body. They may be applying 10 to 20 times higher than the doctor’s prescription in a medical condition.
There are some common misuses of anabolic steroids. Which are in the following:
- People often take steroids to get a bigger muscle faster. They want an instant and fast outcome. As a result, they take it to grow their muscle fast and for bodybuilding purposes.
- Some women take steroids multiple doses in period time to stop their cycle for a moment. And then they want to restart with it.
- Some people combine two or more types of steroids and at a time to get a faster result. That can lead someone to a serious problem.
- Sometimes people alternate and substitute steroids with another steroid to avoid developing tolerance and so on.
The bottom line
Doctor prescribed anabolic steroid can be a useful and beneficial method of treatment for the individual in certain cases. However, the misuse of this kind of drug can lead someone to a severe problem in some instances.
So one should make sure to learn about the side effects and all about it before misusing it. And one should also contact a doctor before taking it. If you think something is going wrong, then a doctor or professional counsellor may help. So hopefully, from this brief discussion, now you know everything about anabolic steroids: types, side effects, uses, and so on.